Saturday, September 5, 2009

Angela Kirby...

My love for photography began in 2004 when I enrolled in a photography course at the college I was attending. I spent countless hours shooting film and printing in the darkroom. I was hooked! It was there that I began to appreciate the art, talent, and hard work that separates an impactful photograph from a boring picture. It was and remains a humbling but liberating experience.

Every photographer sees the world differently and their work is an extension of their interpretation of it. It can be challenging to capture a moment in time with a fresh, appealing perspective. That challenge drives me to learn continuously, and the satisfaction of accomplishing it (sometimes more successfully than others!) keeps bringing me back to my camera. Photography is a venue through which I can enrich the lives of others. In my heart are two God-given desires: to photograph life in an impactful way and to share it with others. Marrying those desires keeps the joy in my work. Horses, dogs, children, and action packed sports like polo, motocross, and combat sports are currently the primary focus of my work.

Equipment
I shoot exclusively in RAW digital format with Canon cameras and lenses. Lisa and I share a minimalist preference in equipment and processing. Most of the time I hate the use of flash because I have a personal abhorrence for the type of “gaudiness” it contributes to the images. Natural, available light will always be my first preference while shooting. It just can’t be beaten, in my opinion!

My primary body is the Rebel XTi (just like Lisa’s) and my backup body is a D60. One day I plan to upgrade bodies but for now, the Rebel handles most things nicely. I own several lenses and find myself switching between them during most of my outings because one lens doesn’t “fit all”. Some get more use than others, but they all have their pros and cons and some are more useful for particular shots than others. In my bag I keep my 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS; 75-300mm f/4-5.6; 100mm f/2.8; 50mm f/1.4; and 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6. I do my post processing work on my Dell Intel Core 2 Duo (4GB memory) and LaCie 321 monitor (can’t rave enough about how fantastic it is). I usually start processing in Canon’s RAW Image Task software, batch process and hand edit in Picture Window Pro 4.0, and occasionally do some noise removal in Neat Image. That’s pretty much it as far as equipment goes!

Personal
I live just north of Pittsburgh in a little town called Renfrew. I’m a country girl so the area suits me. My husband and I share our lives with four awesome Italian Greyhound Rescues named Sami, Ethan, Tommy, and Ellie. They bring joy, beauty, companionship, and fun to us daily. They are as much a part of our family as the human members! Like Lisa, I have many diverse interests ranging from horses and horse sports, dogs, hiking, relaxing at home playing video games and watching movies, to playing and coaching volleyball, and training in various combat sports and martial arts like boxing, kickboxing, American Freestyle, and Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu. My musical interests are just as diverse, so I consider myself to be an eclectic little melting pot of sorts. :-)

If you'd like to view more of my photography, please visit my blog, proof gallery, and portfolio at AK Photography for current projects.

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

In order for us to reply to your comment via e-mail, we need you to include your e-mail address within the text of your comment. Blogger does not provide us with access to your e-mail address, even if you sign in. Thanks!